Quarantines, Covid Tests, and Synchronous Learning

 Dear friends and family,


I owe you all an apology - It has been much longer that I had hoped since I last wrote. I have been pondering for weeks what I should write. Since Christmas, our students have experienced four different types of learning environments. They started in January by attending classes virtually from their dorms. A 10 day quarantine to ensure no one had Covid-19 turned into three weeks of isolation because the number of infected cases in our state were so high. They then transitioned to attending classes virtually, but this time on campus. If you had walked onto our campus at that time, you would have seen that each dorm had an assigned zone where the students could spread out, attend classes, and work on homework. This was not an ideal situation, but it worked for a time. For about one month, our students were able to attend classes in person. As our student body returned to campus, the reunions were emotional to watch. Many had not seen each other in person since the beginning of December. After Spring Break, students returned to classes, once again attending virtually. Starting this week, they have been able to return to in-person classes, but in order for this to be possible, we are required to test all students and staff twice a week. Tired yet? So are we! But we are thankful that our students have been able to continue learning, regardless of the format. On that note, however, please pray for our students, as well as students at every level around the world who have had to navigate continually changing educational formats. I’m proud of our students - they are incredibly resilient. But resilience does not equal being invincible, and the continual changes are taking a toll. BFA students often choose to come because they have been taking classes online in other locations, and are looking for the community that the traditional classroom environment can offer. The style of learning that has been necessitated by Covid is not what they hoped for when they came. While our boarding students have the benefit of being able to enjoy the community that the dorms offer, the situation of our home students has been very different. There are strict rules in Germany about the number of people that can gather in one place, so many of our home students have been isolated. Please pray that God will minister to each of their hearts and encourage them during these days.


Next, I owe you a huge thank you! After my request for more ministry partners and support over the winter, many of you responded and were very, very generous. Thank you, from the depths of my heart!! I am grateful to be able to finish this year strong and supporting my team! I am privileged to serve on a team with four other people, and I am grateful for the friendship and community that we share. In a time when many are working by themselves from home, necessity has drawn us together. My office oversees that boarding program here at BFA, and each of my colleagues carries distinct responsibilities. All of us enjoy collaborating with each  other. The challenges of the last year have often felt like something from a strange dream. Figuring out how to get students tested before travelling internationally, determining whether traveling to Germany from Serbia necessitates quarantine, making sure every dorm has enough rapid tests to ensure that everyone will be tested by Monday, driving eight masked students to and from the school so that they can attend virtual classes, to name a few. 


Many of you know that this is my final year (for now) at BFA, and have kindly asked about what is coming next for me. Thanks for caring and asking!! Lord willing I will be studying for a Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. The school where I will study is yet to be determined, but I hope to know within the next month. Even as I write these words, I can’t believe that God has brought me to this point. I hope to pursue licensure and offer support to individuals serving in ministry and missions. I will remain affiliated with TeachBeyond as I hope to be able to serve internationally again in the future. Thank you so much for praying for and with me during this exciting time!! 


If you have read to this point, congrats! Much has happened in the last few months, and condensing it isn’t easy. I pray that you are well, and that you are safe and healthy. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. “ Romans 15:13 


May God bless each of you richly today!



In Christ,


Lauren


My marvelous team - I can't think of a more caring group of people with whom to navigate the challenges of Covid


Comments

  1. Thanks, Lauren❣️Great reminder to reflect on God’s goodness✝️💜
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus
    Look full in his wonderful face
    And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
    In the light of his glory and grace

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope