Sur Le Pont D'Avignon

This post comes on the heels of a ministry update, but I want to take time to give tribute to someone whose loving influence made a big impression on me. Not long ago, in the middle of the night, I received a message informing me that my grandfather's wife, whom we affectionately called Grandmama (she was from Montreal) had passed away.  Hearing news like this from so far away is never easy, and I've been processing this loss over the last week. I've been journaling a lot, and decided to publish some of those thoughts here as my tribute to her.

When I received the message from mom, I wasn't quite sure what to feel or do. We hadn't seen Grandmama in a really long time, at least for most of my adult life. Like most family relationships, this is a complex thing. My whole life, this exotic woman with a charming accent and dramatic eyes was another grandma to me and my siblings, though I think I may have the most vivid memories of her. We wholeheartedly embraced her and called her "grandmama" because she was from Montreal. She adored us, and was lovely with children. We have some great pictures of her playing with each of us as babies. She got us toys and books en Francais, and tried to teach us words, praising each success. I can still her saying "Bonjour Lauren!" whenever I answered her phone call, and I can still hear the smile in her voice. I'm sorry I lost touch, and I'm sorry we drifted, but sometimes life is like that. I'm not sorry for her loving influence on me. She used to sing "Sur le point d'Avignon," a French folk song. She added her own motions and drama. When I took French in high school, I was surprised to learn that Avignon was, in fact, in France. Not Canada. I just assumed she had been there. 
Dad always enjoyed speaking to her in French, learning the subtle differences between Francais et Quebecois. I always hoped that one day we would have a conversation in which she wouldn't have to switch to English. 
More than her French Canadian charm, I remember her compassion. She loved our family deeply and told us so. But she used her actions too, which proved her words. I've only been to visit Montreal twice, that I recall. But each time she lovingly hosted us. Carolyn and I even stayed at her apartment for a few nights, and though my memories are foggy, I remember laughing a LOT. The day of my high school graduation, she and grandpapa surprised us with a visit. It meant the world to me to have them there. At my party the next day, Grandmama practically danced around offering people food and charming everyone. She was happy to be there and let it show.
I've been told that she struggled with Alzheimers and that it changed her. but I am grateful to remember Yvette CotĂȘ Eveland as she was. I will miss her!




Another birthday - look at all those tiny kiddos! If you can find me,
 you can also see Grandmama leaning on the back of my chair, looking at my brothers. 
My sister's birthday, nearly 20 years ago. Grandmama is 2nd from the left. Look at that smile!


Comments

Popular Posts