Advent Week 4 - And Wonders of His Love




Thank you for stopping by for this fourth advent devotional for this year. This week's writing is a bit more personal, but I hope that it will bless and encourage you.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
let ev’ry heart prepare him room
and heav’n and nature sing.

He rules the world with truth and grace

and makes the nations prove

the glories of His righteousness

and wonders of His love.

-Isaac Watts-


2021 has been an extremely challenging year. In many ways, the “wonders of His love” felt less visible than in other seasons. In addition to all of the complications and changes in life due to Covid, I picked up my life in mid-June and left my dear heart home of Kandern, Germany to return to the US. I felt confirmed and supported in the decision, but it was still a difficult move. As I sorted through suitcases and emotions, I realized that I had a deep fear of being forgotten. It seemed logical enough - I have forgotten or lost touch with many people from various seasons in my life. But this was much stronger than anything I had experienced before, even to the point of keeping me awake at night. It took a long time for me to recognize because it felt too arrogant  and self-centered to even acknowledge. Part of my heart hoped it would just disappear. Over time I have come to realize that for me this fear of being forgotten seems to be rooted in something deeper. As a human being I want to be accepted, to contribute and live with a sense of purpose. To belong. In order to move forward and find this sense, I have been reflecting, looking back down the road along which God has brought me. He has been so faithful. I have all that I need. When I moved to Germany for the first time in 2010, I had no idea what lay before me. There have been deep struggles, and loneliness, anxiousness, and even despair have left their mark. But He has never once left me alone, and by trusting Him for this next part of the journey I affirm that I trust that He will continue to be with me. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, or grieve a place and people who hold so much of my heart, I will fear no evil, for He is with me. Even though in the process one may feel the deep discomfort of not quite belonging, I will not fear, for He is with me. He is my home, and I am fully known, accepted and loved by Him. As I have been reflecting on these things, I have heard frequently from dear friends who are far away. Good news from a far country. I am grateful for these blessings, and the reminder that I am not forgotten by my God. The wonder of His love is that He has given everything for me so that I could belong to Him. 


What better way to recognize the love of God this week than by thanking Him for what He has done for us - coming to take the punishment for sin that we could never pay, and living again so that we can live with Him. May the wonder of His love be yours this Christmas. 


Merry Christmas!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope