Growth and Gratitude

To say that the world has changed since my last post feels like an understatement. If since that time, you and your friends and loved ones have been impacted by the effects of preventing the virus, or if you are figthting it personally, I am sorry. You are fighting battles every day that are daunting and difficult. Please know that I pray for you daily!

Like so many other people, my life and work look very different at the present moment. Due to regulations intended to prevent the spread of the virus and flatten the curve, any routine that existed has been replaced. These days, rather than sit at a desk, I sit on my couch and keep up with emails from there. Rather than publish a weekly agenda and calendar update, I help to make sure our dorms have meals provided, that our staff are pacing themselves well and getting time off, and that each dorm has the support it needs. I check in with 3-4 RAs each day as well. Before all of this, I met with 7 female RAs each month, in my home or in a coffee shop. These days I have been taking lots of walks with them, listening and processing. Shortly after I last wrote, over half of our dorm students returned to their families. For the students who remain, there is a lot to processs. Please pray for them and for our staff teams who are helping them navigate all of this.

There are many other mundane details I could share, but through this time, God has been planting in my heart the desire for two things...gratitude and the desire to learn. How will I be different when this is past? As I asked in my last update, what is He placing in my hands, now that He has removed so much of my "normal?" He is beginning to answer, and I am eager to see how He will continue to do so. Here are some of His answers.

Gratitude: 
I'm not one to post much on social media, but this month on Instagram, I have been posting daily one thing for which I'm grateful. This is less about the likes and feedback, and all about the exercise of the awareness of gratitude. I find myself looking for things I'm grateful for through the day. Some examples from the last two weeks include:

-Time with friends (from a socially acceptable 2 meter distance, of course)

-Good food and partnership with local businesses

-God's incredible creative beauty which is out in full force at this time of year

-The town of Kandern, the way it is wisely, cautiously handling these days, and the kindness and care for others that I see in its residents.

-God's perfect guidance and the fact that He has never once been out of control.

-Zoom meetings with our office staff team
And so much more...

What are you thankful for? I would love to hear...

Learning and Growing:

While I have been processing grief and loss with so many, I am also keenly aware that we are gaining many things. Here are some of the ways I am learning and growing.


-How to open door handles with anything other than my hands - Recently above a door handle I saw this amonition, "Do less harm, use your arm!" And I've been taking that seriously. I don't remember the last time I touched a handle!

-What 2 meters (approx. 6 feet) of distance feels like - My grocery stores have lines dictating how far apart customers should be while in line. I've never understood the metric system more than I do now.

-I am unquestionably an extrovert - I need people, and this whole thing is hard!! Can anyone else relate? However, I am grateful that we live in a time that offers many different means to connect with people. Means that keep others and myself safer and healthy.

-Zoom! - We're using "zooming" just like "Kleenex" and "Xerox". Examples: "Shall we zoom?", "Would you like to zoom?" "We're zooming!" 
Highlights include our Reslife Office Staff Team meetings. It's good to be able to get time together.

-I love being outdoors - We have been gifted with amazing weather, and I've been taking full advantage. Whether with others or by myself, these have also been important, intentional times of separating from the chaos for prayer and connection with God.

-The value of rest, productivity and enjoyment in the space I call home - These days I am working from home, as is most of the world. Finding motivation can be difficult, but I am learning again what factors help me focus and keep me productive. Under these circumstances, I can also be tempted to just keep working indefinitely so I am trying hard to set achievable goals.

-My Identity - Surely I am not alone on this one. It is so tempting to find my identity in the things I accomplish, how well I communicate, how conversations and coaching sessions go, and many other things. However, once again, as I follow God's invitation to "Be still and know," He is teaching me so much about Who He is and who I am as His beloved child.

-Family video chats are the highlight of my week - Family time has always been important, but each Sunday my family crowds onto a video chat with anyone who can make it. I miss them more than words can express.

I have felt so confirmed in the fact that I am right where God wants me to be, for this time, in this place. He is a good Father, who delights to give good things to His children. As He has pried so many things from my hands, I am aware that He is giving many others. He continues to shape my heart.
Again I realize that none of this takes away the stings of pain and loss that are being felt by so many. Many are in dire circumstances that cannot be denied, and I pray for health, healing, and provision for all in those places. I also pray that they will draw near to the God who loves them.

Pray for peace, for healing, and for those making difficult decision.
Pray that we will be who we are called to be during this time.
And pray that we will be different afterwards.


Golden hour walk a few nights ago


God's handiwork on display in a nearby orchard

Sunday Family video chats are the best!
Office Team Zoom calls aren't always this serious...I'm looking forward to when we can meet again in person!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope