New Year, New Role, Bumper Cars and Joy


Dear friends, 

The last few months have been full of changes, emotions, and exciting events. The biggest answer to prayer to share is that God has provided for me, through you, in ways that are completely beyond my understanding. I'm back at BFA, and loving my new role. Let me share some highlights from the last few months with you!

August
The first weeks of August held Orientation and training for all of our dorm staff. Each day we met together to discuss and work together on everything that goes into running a dorm. New staff learned to drive, registered at the Rathaus (town hall), and learned to shop for 30 or more people at the grocery store - in German! Staff teams for each dorm worked on developing schedules, task lists, and communication with each other and parents. This year held unique challenges as our office staff, almost all brand new to our jobs, lead training for six teams of dorm staff. We are building our own office dynamic as well, and it is truly a joy to work with each of these people. In addition to shaping staff teams we also opened a new dorm, called Blauenhof. This building is a former nursing home, and is located near the center of Kandern. Lots of people put in hard work this summer to adapt this facility to standards required for us to use it. We are grateful for this beautiful home for our students! Enjoy several photos of our staff below! The first photo is my office team: Left to right: Jason Radcliffe - Data Manager, Me - Administrative Assistant, Trey Israel - Supervisor, Randi Israel - Supervisor, Jeff Cyr - Director's Assistant


Our amazing dorm teams and their kiddos

My parents and brother Jonathan also came for a visit at the end of August. It was a joy to show them my work and life here, as well as do some exploring together! One of the reasons they came was to experience the beginning of the school year here, which includes the Opening Ceremony and procession of flags. I’ve talked about these events since I arrived, and getting to share them with my family was special. I want to just pause here and say how special it has been to have family visit. It is often hard to describe exactly what I do here, and what life is like. However, when visitors observe things first hand, you share a level of understanding that can be a huge source of encouragement. My parents will often ask about people and places, and share that they are praying specifically for things. Because they have been here, they know. And to this single girl, that is a blessing. 

They just got off a plane, but they were a sight for sore eyes. Loved having Mom, Dad and Jonathan visit!

September
September held lots more firsts. First all-staff meetings, first meeting with all of the RAs, and I published my first Agenda - which is the synthesis of several different calendars, all with events that impact dorm life. Imagine someone being a private secretary for both a large family and a school…you’ll be remarkably close to imagining my job. Coordinating involvement for our dorm students in things like sporting events, SATs, class parties, Senior class trips, field trips, Spiritual Emphasis Week, appointments to apply for visas, and many, many other things. This Agenda is a large part of my work in the office, and I spend a lot of time trying to get it right! I forget things, but I’m grateful for all of our reslife staff who are so gracious with me! Time out for another pause - I want to give a quick shout out to Jordan Cummings, the fantastic lady who took time out to train me and patiently teach the ins and outs of what it looks like to be successful in this role. Jordan, if you’re reading this, just know that I think about you all the time and I’m ridiculously grateful for you and for the time you spent with me last year. 

Bumper cars at Herbstmesse with friends!

October
October went by quickly and slowly all at once! In order to obtain a visa that allows us to live, work, and study here, all students and stuff must follow a step-by-step process that ends in an appointment at the Landratsammt, or town hall. Over the course of about 4 weeks during this month, all of our new boarding students and some of our returning ones were shuttled to and from these appointments. We are thankful for the ease with which this process can happen, and pray that God continues to allow this door to be open! I began the second round of coaching the RAs. I meet with seven of the female RAs for a time of debrief, reflection and goal-setting, and is one of my favorite aspects of my job. It’s truly an honor to be part of their lives. 

On October 23, my office organized and hosted a day of professional development for the Residence Life staff. The day consisted of sessions surrounding care of students and colleagues. The month ended with a long weekend dubbed “Fall Break”. We were all thankful for the chance to catch our breath, but not before taking our entire high school student body into Basel for an evening to enjoy the Herbstmesse (pronounced "Herbst-mess-uh) or Fall Festival Celebration. The city is beautiful in the fall, and one can enjoy rides and street food, but the highlight is when our students descend on the bumper cars and pretty much take over for an hour. I know, bumper cars, right? In an effort to keep the ride operators from being completely overwhelmed by our students, my staff team purchased tokens for the ride in bulk, sold them to students, and went back with the money we made to purchase more tokens. I lost count of the number of trips I made to the token booth, but by the end of the evening, I had made new friends in the ride operators, and they [probably] set a new record in token sales! Why is an evening like this important? Don’t we have more pressing matters to attend to? The tough stuff will always be there. But as crazy as an evening like this can be, the evening provides a break and margin for staff and students alike. It’s a chance to take a step back, laugh, and enjoy a change of pace. The tough stuff will be there. It’s a chance to remind each other that taking a moment to enjoy each other in a healthy environment can contribute to overall well-being. Psalm 16:11 says that in His presence is fulness of joy. Sometimes riding bumper cars and considering one another can actually be spending a moment at the feet of Jesus. 

There are SO many more stories - I wish I had time to write them all here. If you want to hear more, just ask!

So as I write this, half way through November, I am excited, hopeful and so very thankful. Thank you for giving, caring, praying, and loving me well. I have been blessed and encouraged to hear personally from so many of you. 

Praise God with me:

1. For grace and a great knowledge of His presence as I continue to learn my new role.
2. For His protection and peace.
3. For providing everything that I need.

Pray with me:
1. For our students as they persevere to the end of the semester and Christmas break. 
2. For our staff last they continue working at %150 - for strength, courage, and resolve.
3. For wisdom for the school leadership and administration as they seek the Lord and consider the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope