But Only He Who Sees, Takes off His Shoes

I began working on this post recently as I was sitting in my classroom with one student clicking away on his keyboard; the others are gone on class trips to other parts of Europe, so we took a break from our curriculum so he can explore his own creativity. Sometimes this life we live blows my mind. The student has decided that the day's class schedule makes a really great chord progression. So he's writing a song using those chords. As one does.
The school year is off to a great start, and I find my role to be a multi-faceted one. I have two sections of group Piano 1 this semester, and from day one, I knew it would be exciting. One of my favorite things about teaching group piano is helping each student fill in the gaps of their basic musical knowledge. Already there are students who are playing pieces that would have felt impossible just one month ago. I'm continually reminded that good learning is a slow, deliberate process that can often feel tedious and even useless. Adding virtue to faith, and knowledge to virtue is much the same. As I watch my students work, see the determination in their faces, I see character emerge. So as we work on hand position, note naming, and reading music from a staff, I see incredible individuals, created with purpose, begin to emerge. Sometimes the glances are fleeting, but in those moments it's as though their Creator leans toward me and says, "watch what I'm doing!" 
Every school day is full. When I'm not teaching a group class, I'm practicing or meeting with a student, planning with my piano teacher colleagues, or teaching a private lesson. I have 12 private students this year - the most I've had at BFA. With a greater number of students comes a greater number of challenges. Some of my students are basically beginners, working to be able to name and play notes easily and well. Others are advanced, looking ahead to majoring in music with auditions and recitals looming. Still others are in between. Each day is an exciting combination of any of these elements.
I am also privileged to be serving on the leadership team for a group called Walking Together. This group seeks to connect women in the Kandern area from various churches, providing fellowship, mentoring, Bible studies, and community. We recently held our yearly kick-off event, and it has already been exciting to watch the women in our community begin to connect in new and deeper ways.
Looking ahead, we are coming to the end of the first grading quarter. In just over two weeks, we will present our faculty recital. In the classroom, we will be wrapping things up so that students can begin to mark the progress they have made and plan well for what needs to be accomplished in the coming weeks.

Finally, I want to leave you with these words that were presented to us in August and I haven't quite been able to shake:

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire
with God; but only he who sees,
takes off his shoes - The rest sit
round and pluck blackberries.

~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

May we have hearts that know His presence and are ready to watch Him work!



Praise God with me:
1. For His continued provision, financially, physically, emotionally, and Spiritually.
2. For the a strong start to teaching and mentoring
3. For safe travels for our grade 11 and 12 trips to France and Italy.

Please pray:

1. For the students I mentor. One I have known for a while and I need wisdom as I speak into her life. The other is new to me, so please pray that I will listen well as we get to know each other.
2. For upcoming projects I am involved with, and for finances for these projects.
3. For my financial support to increase, and for openness in the hearts of those God is calling to partner with me.
4. For the women involved with Walking Together ministry. For connection, support, and fellowship.

The Seniors prepare to participate in the parade of flags at Opening Ceremonies

All of the incredible people I get to serve with here at BFA...can you find me??


Comments

  1. I love that poem, and Walking Together sounds like an incredible ministry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw it! And you would love Walking Together. :) Miss you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope