May Update

Dear friends,

Happy May! Germany is so very excited to have beautiful spring weather - so excited, that there was a marching band that began making its way around town at 6:30am today! They were still going strong around 1pm, and I don't know that they've truly stopped yet. Seriously though, springtime in this part of the world has been stunning this year, and we are grateful! At the end of this post you will find some pictures of the area around Kandern, as well as of many of the events which have made this time of year so exciting.
Since my last update, much has happened. We held another very successful Music Festival. All of our private lesson students performed on various instruments and received helpful, valuable insights from each of the visiting adjudicators. While many students tackle stage fright during this week, they also gain a lot from the interactions they have with the judge. It is also an exciting week for me as a teacher, because my students are pushed to a new level personally and musically. We capped the week with a stellar Honors Recital, featuring some of the strongest performers from the festival.
On the Sunday afternoon following festival week, two of our music students gave their Senior recital. This is not something we require of every student, but when a student has shown particular care, excellence and dedication their study, we invite them to give a recital. My student, Hudson, did an outstanding job. He has worked hard and well, and I am very proud of his performance.
The academic quarter leading into Spring Break was a busy one, and we saw God's faithfulness in many ways. I absolutely love my teaching responsibilities. When I think about the fact that this vocation was one I tried to avoid, I see that this love can only come from Him, and this enables me to continue. Every semester of group piano class brings new challenges and possibilities. This one is no different. My Piano 1 class, is eager and consistent. They are curious and ask excellent questions, which opens more doors for their personal musical discovery. It is always exciting to remember that 3 months ago, these students didn't read music, and now they are practicing and helping each other with musical fluency that they find surprising. My Piano 2 class is a very unique, small group. All three students come with an innate musical sense, and some with a strong musical background. They simply want to be better at something they love. And I love that. From the first class we shared, it was obvious that each student enjoyed composing, arranging and improvising. They would come to class having figured out various pieces and songs by ear, or having come up with something original. I felt a little out of my comfort zone, because I LOVE reading music off a page (if you know me, you may know that sight-reading gives me a rush - it's weird.). But we went with it. I listened, and gave insight, and one day they began to but some of their ideas together. Their ideas have grown into a really fantastic piece for three pianos, and I am looking forward to a performance day in about a month that will give them the opportunity to share it with others! I am personally learning and benefitting from the joy that comes from spontaneous creativity. For those of you who think more like me, don't worry, they are working on standard solo repertoire as well. We've just created more opportunities for them to grow. :)
Some of you might remember that I had the privilege of going to Israel over Spring Break with a group of students and staff from BFA. I have so much to share, so I will dedicate my next post in about a week to sharing more about what God taught us during that trip. It was incredible!
We are now in the final weeks of our school year, and life is full. I am excited to see what God will do in the coming weeks.

Praise the Lord with me:
1. For safe travels and open hearts during Spring break.
2. For the way that He is working in the hearts and lives of students.
3. That He is always good, and always supplies every need that I have. I have recently see Him do this in very specific ways.
4. For you, my supporters and prayer partners. I am grateful every day for you!!

Pray with me:
1. That students and staff alike will be open to what God is teaching them and doing in their lives.
2. That God will provide more monthly financial partners. I am praying for at least 10 new people to commit to monthly giving.
3. For good health and a strong finish to the school year.
4. For joy in all circumstances.
5. That God will continue to draw me close to Himself.

Thanks for reading, praying and caring. Now, please enjoy some pictures!

A favorite path

...and another.
Anyone for a walk?

Front row seat to see the marching band from my balcony.
Music Festival Honors Recital performers - all did such a fantastic job!








Just a few days after Music Festival, Hudson and EunSu gave a stellar Senior Recital.











Piano 2 students during class. Super creative group!
The piano lab at the end of the day - full of students for whom music is an important outlet!
This view made my heart happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Easter Week

Commissioning

Advent Week 1: Hope