Seniors, and Making Decisions, and Some Sweet Hoodies

While writing this post, I am sitting at the living room table in the dorm, finding it hard to believe that another semester is already begun. This is my fourth semester here, and I can hardly believe it. I only wish my college career had felt to fly by so fast! The trip home was fantastic, with eventful travel on both ends. Spending the night in the airport, arriving home in time for my siblings’ church Christmas program, ordering dorm hoodies, and lugging 3 heavy pieces of luggage through the Frankfurt airport were only a few of the elements. Possibly one of the most stressful, but also exciting pieces to the break, was the arrival of our dorm hoodies. We had a design chosen and ordered, and they were slated to arrive by the time I left for the airport in January. However, by the time my luggage was loaded into our van and we were ready to leave, the UPS truck still had not arrived! Saying I was frustrated is a gross understatement. As we drove down the main road in my hometown I was asking God why, over and over; and then we passed our local 7-11. This was a favorite convenience store in our family growing up, and apparently the UPS guy likes it too, because his truck was in the parking lot as we drove by. We pulled in to the lot and my mom and brother Tim jumped out of our van and ran into the store. This being a small town, we have a sort of friendship with this guy, so he came out to his truck to check and see if he had 2 large boxes from the Sweatshirt company. Would it surprise you if I said he had them? I was amazed and humbled as he handed me the boxes. The guys are now sporting some fantastic dorm apparel, and I am thankful the God cares about things like hoodies and a UPS truck! The reality, however, in all of this is that even if they had not arrived, God would still be sovereign. I think that was the big-picture lesson for me in all of this. I am so blessed and thankful to have been able to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ with my family this year. We had some very meaningful times and I miss them a ton!!

Now we have plunged back into a very dreary, cloudy, but still very lively January. One of the highlights of the month so far for me was seeing them welcome each other back to the dorm. As more and more arrived, they would rush the door in an effort to get the first hug. There was much joy to be had! Please do pray for our students, because although they are happy to be back with their dorm brothers again, they are also far from their families once again. Pray that homesickness would be minimal, and also that their relationships with their families would thrive despite the miles and time zone differences. There is a special excitement among the seniors as they begin their final semester of high school. For them, the end is in sight, and they are anxious for it to arrive. Mixed with the excitement, however, is an element of apprehension. What’s next? Will I be accepted to my first-choice school? Will I still be friends with the same people? Will I make new friends? How will going to university affect my current relationships? What will my transition to University be like? How do I say goodbye well and end my time here in a healthy way? These are all some of the questions that are being asked right now. Please pray that this class, more than anything else, would seek Christ first in this time of transition. With Him to guide them, they cannot go wrong. He has promised to never leave or forsake them, so I invite you to pray with me that they would know this as reality, not just for their parents, but for themselves.

Finally, I want to answer a question which I have been asked many times over the past few months. What am I doing next year? It gives me great joy to tell you that I have committed to staying at Sonne for one more year. This decision was not made without much prayer and seeking of guidance, and I am confident that this is the door which God is opening for me at this season. So what about music? While this is the area in which I have my degrees, I can honestly say that for this season, my heart is with these students. I love music, and I always will. Currently I have several projects which I am working on with the BFA music department, and I am excited to continue to use my gifts in that way. In a way, you could say that I am ‘weak’, since I don’t have any special training to work with people. However, God has lovingly promised that in my weakness, He is strong, and I have seen Him prove this over and over, especially during my time at BFA. My burden for the ministry in the Residence Life program here has only increased in the past year and a half, and God has continued to open the door to more time of service here. So it is with confidence that I make this decision. Confidence, not in my own ability, but in the God of the universe Who made me, saved me, and enables me to love. It is the desire of my heart that as He molds me and changes me, others will see more and more of Him, and less and less of me.

As always, I want to thank you for reading, and for your continued financial and prayer support. God is doing great things because of you!

Blessings,
Lauren

Comments

Popular Posts