Retreat and a Recital

Someone wise once said, "March goes in like a lion and out like a lamb." I don't know who was listening and took note, but that's definitely been true in southern Germany! We haven't had a lot of snow, but we've definitely had some cold weather. Last week, we had occasional hints of spring, which left us hoping it would stick around. Today I enjoyed a long walk with a friend, soaking in the beauty this area has to offer in spring time! I'm amazed at the color and contrast our Creator has woven perfectly into His Creation!
Other than the beautiful weather, there is a LOT going on right now! Last weekend, the entire high school packed into buses and got away from Kandern for a little while. I've been co-leading a small group of senior girls this semester, and during the retreat weekend, we had a chance both to listen to amazing teaching from the Bible, and discuss what was being taught. During the discussion times, the girls were very open and it was exciting to hear what God was teaching them. God is clearly at work, and it's exciting to catch a glimpse! In addition to processing what was being taught, we laughed and bonded closer as a group. We are blessed to work with some AMAZING young women! They continually speak truth to each other, ask many good questions, and they all desire to know God and His Word in a deeper way. I've been pondering how God has given love upon love to me for this group when I couldn't imagine loving more, but I'll save those thoughts for another post.
The Tuesday evening following retreat, I and a good friend and colleague had the privilege of taking our group piano classes into Basel to attend a student recital at a music school. The recital itself was excellent. The performers were strong, the repertoire diverse and though mistakes were made, it was healthy for our students to see mistakes and recovery happen. I personally really enjoyed the drive to and from Basel. I've been missing driving a large dorm van and sharing that time with students (crazy, I know:) ), so it was fun to be able to experience that again. I was impressed by the observations each student made. Music may be a universal language, but it's incredible how perceptions of a particular piece can vary. Again, another post in the making. I'm intrigued.
Last, but not least, I've been encouraged by some interactions I've had with the German community this week. I've been a little frustrated with my limited German, and am striving to improve but the progress is slow. Yesterday I went to get a hair cut. I felt the usual conflict, "should I try to chat? Is that acceptable here? Will she be open to it?" So I asked my stylist her name, which led to a whole conversation about where we were each from, and her telling me about a trip she had made to the US, among other things. The exciting part? Most of it happened in German! Thanks God! What was even more thrilling was that as I walked away I felt strongly compelled to pray for her, that God would allow our paths to cross again, and that ultimately I'll be able to share the Gospel with her. This evening I went to a local Doner kebab restaurant (Doner is a turkish fast food and is popular in Germany) to pick up dinner. The restaurant is located right in the middle of town, so they interact with everybody, including all of the English speakers in town. I like to try to use my limited German to communicate, and try to be very congenial with the people who work there. Tonight, there were only a few other customers, so when we paid for our food, the man at the register spoke to us in English and was very pleased with himself when we responded encouragingly! When we complimented his English he beamed and said he's learning by picking up words from the English-speaking customers he encounters. Please pray that this man and his coworkers will not only learn English, but will encounter Jesus through us!!!
I've listed prayer requests and praises below, but first, please enjoy pictures from the retreat and recital. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and as always, thank you for your prayers and financial support!!! God is working here, and you play a vital role!

Small group selfie! 
We absolutely love these ladies!
The entire high school having a blast on retreat
Piano classes 1 & 2 attending a spectacular recital in Basel
Praise the Lord that:
1. He gave safe travel to and from retreat
2. He is visibly at work in the lives of students and staff here
3. He is actively protecting and working through the families of our students, both in Kandern and around the world. 
4. He is sovereign, nothing takes Him by surprise, He loves us with everlasting love, and pursues relationship with us.

Please pray with me that:
1. God will supply financial needs as well as guidance and direction for our senior class. 
2. We would trust that He is at work, even though at times we are not permitted to see what He is doing.
3. I will take every opportunity to speak truth and be His hands and feet.
4. God will draw Samantha (my hair stylist), and the man in the restaurant to Himself, and that we would represent Him well in this country.


Comments

Popular Posts